- Sermon Notes
God told Adam and Eve to multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. People lived much longer in those days and had many sons and daughters, so the population of the earth increased rapidly from the time of Adam to the days of Noah.
Jesus said that the last days will be like the days of Noah. I am convinced that we are living in the last days because of what is happening in the world today. We’re going to see what that means in the verses we’re studying today.
The days of Noah refer to two parts – to the time before the flood, in other words, the antediluvian period, and the time after the flood when God gave a covenant of grace to Noah. Jesus was referring to the time before the flood when people were eating and drinking and marrying and giving in marriage. That can have two meanings.It can mean that they were just going about their lives without any concern about what God thought; or, it can mean the same as in Genesis 6.
They were going through life as if everything was fine, everything was good, but everything was not fine, everything was not good – because there was something desperately wrong! Immorality had increased to the point that it was beyond repair, humanity had become so immoral, there was no return. God had therefore determined to bring judgment on the earth.
In a similar way, the future Tribulation period of the latter days is the wrath of God poured out on an unbelieving world that has rejected God and is living in the depths of immorality.In other words, are we not living in the days of Noah?That should cause us to look carefully at these verses.
I. These are the Days of Noah
- The population had exploded exponentially; the sons of God were taking many women unto themselves and the theme of the day was wanton immorality and
- There is a debate about what is meant by ‘sons of God’ in this verse.Some have suggested they are fallen angels who had relations with the daughters
of men creating the Nephilim, a race of giants.
- However, Jesus said angels do not marry or are given in marriage, thus suggesting that angels are not sexual beings.Therefore, I reject that theory.
- Others suggest ‘sons of God’ are the descendants of Seth and the daughters of men are the daughters of the line of Cain.Perhaps, but that also is a
- ‘Sons of God’ can also mean men of power and stature, men of nobility, men of renown; they took many women for themselves (whomever they chose) which
led to rampant immorality.
- This became the norm and God was not pleased.
A. Don’t strive with God
- Verse 3 – “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever.”God strives with man even today.
- He strives by His Holy Spirit, and He strives with people with the truth. Many allow lies to take hold of their lives and God counters those lies with the truth.
Illus – When God was contending with Cain, he gave Him a warning as well as word of encouragement.
Genesis 4:7, “If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”
- Though God was contending and striving with them, there comes a point when God gives people over to the consequences of their actions.
App – At first we strive with God, but then at some point God allows us to start striving with the consequences.
- In Corinth there was a young man who was having relations with his stepmother. The church, instead of striving with the situation, was apparently accepting
the behavior. But Paul had a different response…
1 Corinthians 5:5, I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
- When Paul wrote to the church in Rome, he clearly showed them that God will at some point hand people over to their desires.
Romans 1:21-22, 24, For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.Professing to be wise, they became fools… Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
- God loves the world so much that He will strive with man, He contends with people because He knows that if man had their way, they would destroy themselves.
- In other words, God is no one to trifle with – He is stronger than you are!!He will win.
Illus – When I was on the wrestling team and was asked to wrestle the best wrestler in the state…
B. God always makes a way of salvation
- Yes, God came to a point when He decided to bring judgment. But at the same time, He made a provision for their salvation.
- God directed Noah to build an ark and at the same time, He used Noah as a prophet to proclaim the news that God had made a way to escape the impending
doom. In fact, Noah is called a preacher of righteousness in 2 Peter.
- It’s interesting that the name Noah means rest.
Genesis 5:29, Now he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from the ground which the Lord has cursed.”
- Noah is a picture of the provision of Christ. There is a judgment that is coming on the earth, but Christ offers rest.
- As we saw in the book of Revelation, there will be a destruction of the earth because of the condition of men’s hearts, but even throughout those last days, God will give an opportunity to receive the grace and mercy of the lord.
- In Genesis, Noah is a picture of the rest that is found in Christ. No man can work his way to heaven, no man is worthy of salvation by his own striving,
the only hope is in “resting” in the work of Christ.
- Even in the days before the flood, God gave them Noah to be a prophet.He preached in the Spirit of Christ; the ark itself being a testimony of God’s
provision for salvation.
1 Peter 3:20-21, The patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you – not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience – through the resurrection of Jesus Christ……
II. Go Against the Flow
- Noah is a contrast to the norm. In the days of Noah, it was normal for men to take as many wives as they wanted and to walk in violence.
- But there was one who refused to walk as everyone else was walking.
- In other words, go against the flow.Some people justify their actions by saying to themselves, “Well, everyone else is doing it.”
Illus – I was a server in the early 90’s and one day another server told me he had just moved in with his girlfriend, no doubt wanting to see my reaction since he knew I was a pastor…
A. Walk with God
- In verse 9 it is clear that Noah was different; he was blameless in his time, he was righteous, he walked with God.
- This is such an important key to our relationship with God. Those who understand how to have a relationship with God go much further than simply being
App – You can be religious and have your heart very far from the Lord. If you’re doing religious things for the sake of religion, there will no fruit; for it is dead.
Isaiah 29:15, Woe to those who deeply hide their plans from the Lord, and whose deeds are done in a dark place, and they say, “Who sees us?” or “Who knows us?” You turn things around!
App - But if you are walking with God, then you will see the fruit of that because His life is power and His power is now at work in your life!Galatians 5:22-23, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Illus – Enoch was such a man that walked with God and God loved him so much that God simply took him up to heaven.
Genesis 5:24, Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
- That is a relationship that is made possible because of Christ! We can now walk with God all day.
Illus – Many people have mountain top experiences that are powerful and wonderful, but wouldn’t it be better to walk with God powerfully every day?
Illus – Walking with God means that to get up in the morning with God, to eat breakfast with God, to drive to work with God, to work all day with God, to go home with God, to watch TV with God, to talk to our family with God, to surf the Internet with God, and even to go to sleep under the care of God…
Psalm 127:1-2, Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors; for it is He who gives to His beloved even while he sleeps.
B. The key is the desire of the heart
- In verse 5, the problem is seen clearly; the wickedness was great, yes, but the reason was deeper – God saw that every intent of the thoughts of their heart was
only evil … continually.
- The passions and desires we have are absolutely critical because our passions and desires are transforming powers.
App – A.W. Tozer wrote that we are becoming what we are passionate about. “We are becoming what we love,” he wrote, “because love is a transforming power. Therefore, what we love is prophetic of our future.”
The problem for some people is that when they were in the world, they were very passionate about living in the world, but now that they’re in Christ, they’re bored. Why? Because they don’t have the passion of Christ in their hearts!!
- When the scriptures describe the days of Noah as that they were eating and drinking, it means that there was a living it up – party – mentality.
- The word to us here is the same as when we were studying in Revelation, Don’t buy into Babylon, or “don’t be part of the world!”
- The intent of God’s heart is that we would be filled to the full with the life that has no regrets, that is filled with the life of God.
Psalm 16:11, You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
- Throughout history God has been calling men to return to God with their heart – that we would have a deeper relationship to God than simply honoring
Him with our lips.
Isaiah 29:13-14, Then the Lord said, “Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote, therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people, wondrously marvelous; and the wisdom of their wise men will perish, and the discernment of their discerning men will be concealed.”
- But if we return to the Lord with all our heart, we will find that He is gracious and compassionate and ready to receive us unto Himself restored and
Joel 2:12-13, “Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “Return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, weeping and mourning; and rend your heart and not your garments. Now return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate,”
- In truth, we are favored of God because we are in Christ and that is the reason He came, so that we would know the favor of God in relationship to
Him through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
Genesis 6:1-13 NASB
1 Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that
the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." 4
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.