- Sermon Notes
There is Power in the Blood
There is a scarlet thread that runs through the entire bible starting in Genesis and culminating in the victory of Revelation.That scarlet thread points
entirely to Jesus when he shed His blood on the cross at Calvary. In other words, that scarlet thread is the blood of Christ.
God has one plan for humanity and one plan only and he weaves that plan of salvation into the fabric of Scripture. “There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved,” Acts
Leviticus 16 brings us to the most holy event for the Jewish people. It is Yom Kippur; the day of atonement. On this day the high priest made atonement
for himself and for the people of Israel. On this day and this day alone, the high priest entered the most holy place in the tabernacle.
The mercy seat which covered the ark of the covenant was there. The very presence of the living God dwelt there in the holy of holies. No man could enter;
no one could draw near to the presence of God in that place; only the high priest could come, once a year, carrying the blood of the sacrifice.
Part of that sacrifice included a goat, actually there were two goats. One would die, giving his life as payment for the sins of Israel. The other would
live. The high priest would lay his hands on the head of the goat and confess all the sins of the people. Someone would then lead that goat, carrying
the sins of the people out to the wilderness where it would be set free; never to return.
“As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12
Many of the sacrifices and offerings had to do with blood. It’s one of the most important themes of the Bible; it’s the scarlet thread that runs from Genesis
The Jews were also restricted from eating blood. Life is in the blood and all life belongs to God.How precious is blood if it is the stream of life!
But the blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sins. It’s all a picture of the blood of Christ. Words cannot convey the preciousness of that blood!He
is the Son of the living God, He was the Word made flesh, He was the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.
It’s by the precious blood of Jesus that sinners are reconciled to the living God. By that blood you are made right with God. And being made right with
God is the foundation of everything else being made right in your life.
I. Everyone Needs the Blood of Christ
- Verse 6 – Aaron first had to offer a bull as a sin offering for himself. He was the high priest. If the high priest needs the blood of Christ, then
- There are no exceptions; whether it be Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, or anyone else, everyone needs the blood of Christ.
- In other words, you come to God through the blood of His Son, or you don’t come at all.
A. His blood has power to save
- The precious blood of Christ has the power to save; to save from what?To save you from the condemnation of the Law.
- The requirements of the law are the standards of righteousness and everyone falls short. Everyone. Moses, the high priest, you, me, everyone. There
is none righteous, no, not one.
Galatians 3:10, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.”
- The law created constant fear and dread of failure.
CS Spurgeon: The life of a Hebrew, happy as it was compared with that of a heathen, was perfect drudgery compared to yours and mine. He was hemmed in with a thousand commands and prohibitions. He was always in danger of making himself unclean.
A thousand sins of ignorance were like so many hidden pits in his way; he must be perpetually in fear lest he should be cut off from the people of God. When he had done his best any one day, he knew he had not finished; no Jew could ever talk of a finished work. The bull was offered, but he must bring another; the lamb was offered this morning, but another must be offered this evening, another tomorrow, and another the next day. The Passover is celebrated with holy rites; and it must be kept in the same manner next year. The thing is never finished, it is always beginning. He never comes any nearer to the end.
Hebrews 10:10-11, Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; but Jesus, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God.
- As Jesus was on the cross dying for our sins, he cried out, “Tetelestai” in Greek, “it is finished.” You’ve been set free; your debt has been paid
Galatians 3:13, Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us–for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” —
- Now we read the law with pleasure. The worst thunders of the law cannot touch us; we are under the blood of the Lamb of God.
- Everyone needs the blood of Christ because everyone has fallen short of the righteous requirements of God.
- Yet some insist they do not need the blood of Christ. They’re convinced that because they do good things, they’re good people and therefore, God should
accept them. They recycle, they help save the whales, they do good things.
- But God doesn’t weigh your good and bad deeds on a scale. No matter how much you have on the good side of that scale, all it takes is one sinful deed
to be disqualified from heaven.
Illus – There is a day fixed in which God will judge the world in righteousness. But God has offered to settle the matter right here and right now in Jesus Christ.
Romans 8:1-2, Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
B.You can now draw near to God
- “The life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls;”
- Neither great diligence of effort nor deep repentance alone will take away your sin. The blood of Christ and the blood of Christ alone takes away your
Illus – The two goats of the Day of Atonement are an Old Testament sermon pointing to the shedding of Christ’s blood and the removing of our sins far from us.
- Once your sin has been taken away, you are free to draw near to God; to enter the courts of God and worship; to have a relationship to the living God.
- When Christ died on the cross, the veil in the temple that separated the holy place from the most holy place was torn from top to bottom; which then
made a way for you to enter the very throne room of our God.
Hebrews 10:19-22, Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith.
- God doesn’t require you to get your act together before you can approach Him and draw near, He requires you to have your sins removed; to have Christ
as your scapegoat, your Azazel.
- It is only by the blood of Christ that you can be reconciled to God.
Illus – – You can meditate and empty your mind and repeat the sound of the universe and try to become one with the universe, or you can draw near to God through Christ. Do you want to become one with the universe or the one who made the universe?
You can climb mountains and shout holy phrases, you can memorize all holy writings ever written, you can pray until your knees become hard and calloused, but without the precious blood of Christ applied to your life, you cannot draw near to God.
Hebrews 10:22, Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
C. Christ’s blood removes every stain
- Not only does the blood of Christ have the power to save, not only does it allow you to draw near to God, but the blood of Christ removes every stain.
- The scripture speaks of sin as staining your soul.That’s a good picture of its defiling effect.
Illus – Aviah is now done with school and is looking forward to sleeping in.“When I was a kid,” I said, “as soon as school let out, we had to get up even earlier.We had to pick berries all summer… in the snow.”Not everyone was required to pick berries, but it was easy to tell which ones were.All you had to do was look at their fingers because strawberries stain and no amount of washing will remove it.
Jeremiah 2:22, “Although you wash yourself with lye and use much soap, the stain of your iniquity is before Me,” declares the Lord God.
- Sin is a plague to the one who is stained by it and it is a grievous thing to God who abhors it.You must be made clean; you must have your stains washed
- However, he cleanses your heart from the stain of sin as well.
- The awareness of sin, the knowledge of sin, is troubling to people’s hearts.You need to fully believe that God washes you from all unrighteousness.
App-Many people see themselves as permanently stained so they figure there’s no use in their trying to do right.
Hebrews 9:14, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- This should make your heart leap within you!
Isaiah 1:18, “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord, “Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool.”
II. Draw Near with Full Assurance of Faith
- It would’ve been a frightful thing to be a high priest in the days of Moses.Verse 2 – “Tell your brother Aaron that he shall not enter at any time into the holy place inside the veil, before the Mercy seat, which is on the ark, lest he die.”
- But Jesus is your high priest and He entered into heaven itself to appear in the presence of God in your behalf…
Hebrews 9:24, For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.
- That changes everything.Now, because of what Christ has done for you, you can draw near with confidence and know that God is for you.
A.God is for you and God is with you
- Leviticus 16 is a picture of all that God has done because He wants relationship with you.
- He sent His Son to be both the goat that was slain so your sins are paid in full and the goat that carried your sins far away.
- He did it for you; he did it for relationship.
- He did it so you won’t walk alone.If you’re alone; you’re powerless.But if God is with you and God is for you, who can be against you?
App – I recently read an atheist’s criticism of the idea of vicarious atonement; of Christ paying for the sins of others.The problem, he said, is that it robs the individual of responsibility.But this only shows how much he has misunderstood it.
Jesus paid the debt of sin on the cross and it is paid in full.He paid the debt you had to God; He removed the sin that disqualified you from heaven and relationship to the holy and righteous God; but He doesn’t take away your responsibility.
Illus – If you rob a bank, you may find forgiveness from God, but you must still face the consequences.If you have sex outside of marriage, you can find forgiveness from God, but you’re still pregnant.
But once you find forgiveness from God, you have also found an advocate.He will walk with you in it; He will show you the way out of the mess.He will strengthen your character and show you the way to walk.You are not alone.
1 John 2:1-2, My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.And if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
B. Let God be your confidence
- When you understand what God has done for you through His Son, and when you understand the reason God did this for you, you will have confidence in
God’s heart for you.
- If anyone understood how to live and walk according to faith, it would be David.
Psalm 71:5, For You are my hope; O Lord God, You are my confidence from my youth.
Hebrews 10:35-36, 38, Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.For you have need of endurance… the one who is righteous shall live by faith.
Leviticus 16:3-10 NASB
3 Aaron shall enter the holy place with this: with a bull for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering. 4 He shall put on the holy
linen tunic, and the linen undergarments shall be next to his body, and he shall be girded with the linen sash and attired with the linen turban
(these are holy garments). Then he shall bathe his body in water and put them on. 5 He shall take from the congregation of the sons of Israel two
male goats for a sin offering and one ram for a burnt offering. 6 Then Aaron shall offer the bull for the sin offering which is for himself, that
he may make atonement for himself and for his household. 7 He shall take the two goats and present them before the Lord at the doorway of the tent of meeting. 8
Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats, one lot for the Lord and the other lot for the scapegoat. 9T hen Aaron shall offer the goat
on which the lot for the Lord fell, and make it a sin offering. 10 But the goat on which the lot for the scapegoat fell shall be presented
alive before the Lord, to make atonement upon it, to send it into the wilderness as the scapegoat.