- Sermon Notes
The Way of Greatest Blessing
As we come to our final weekend study from the book of Leviticus, we come to a chapter that speaks of the promises of God’s blessings.These were blessings
God promised Israel because they were a distinct people, God’s holy nation. He brought them out of the land of Egypt and broke the bars of their yoke;
to be their Father, to be their God.
He said to them, “Do not do what is done in the land of Egypt where you lived, nor are you to do what is done in the land of Canaan where I am bringing
you. Do not walk in their ways.” In other words, you’re in the kingdom of God now and a whole different set of principles apply. “If you will walk
in My ways and take hold of My word and walk in My statutes, I will pour out blessings on your nation, and on your land, and on each of you personally.”
What does the blessing of God mean? It means the favor of God poured out. Does God set forth a pathway of blessing for you and me?Are their principles
Yes, there are principles from God’s word on which you can build your life.There are also principles of God’s word you should not ignore, because to do
so would be very foolish. With the principles of blessing there are also warnings for those who turn their back on God.
These are the principles in Leviticus 26 that God gives Israel, but God gives principles of blessings to believers in Jesus Christ as well. In fact, I
suggest we have greater blessing because we have greater promises. The lived in the shadow of that which was to come. We have the reality and fulfilment
in God’s Son, Jesus Christ.
I. Blessings Come in Many Forms
- People are sometimes confused as to the nature of God’s blessings and how to receive them.
- There are different types of blessing of God. There are blessings that God could give a nation.There are blessings that are conditional; and there
are blessings that are unconditional.And there are principles that guide each of them.
A.There are blessings on a nation
- God promises to bless Israel as a nation.Israel is unique in that God called them into relationship to Him as a people; not so much as the state of
Israel, but as the people of Israel.
- Israel today is different than Israel in the days of Moses and Joshua and David and the times of the Kings.Israel today is not a theocracy; it is a
- But God has not given up on Israel, He is preparing them for their Messiah who will come at the end of the age.He is watching over them, He is protecting
them, and He is preparing them.That Messiah that will come is none other than the Son of the living God, Jesus Christ.
- Here in Leviticus 26, He promises that if they would honor Him as their Father, the one who brought them out of Egypt by a mighty hand and outstretched
arm, He would bless them as a nation because His presence would be amongst them.
- That the difference.He is watching over them, but His special presence is not among them, but it will be again at the end of the age.
- Verse 4 – God will give rains in their seasons so the land will yield its produce and bear its fruit.
- Verse 6 – God promises peace from their enemies.
- Verse 7 – God promises military superiority, “Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand.”
- There are many examples of these blessings in Biblical times as well as recent times.
- This is a fulfillment of what God promised Abraham in Genesis 12.
Genesis 12:2, I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing;
- In many ways, the blessings God promises Israel are unique to Israel in the sense that He had a covenant relationship to them as a nation.In verse
9 God said He would confirm his covenant with them.In verse 12 God said He would walk among them and be their God, and they should be his people.
- We live in the United States; this is not Israel.But are there national blessings for any nation that honors God?The answer is yes.
Proverbs 14:34, Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.
Genesis 12:3, And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.
B.There are conditional blessings
- In chapters 26 and 27 God says 32 times if they will do this, then God would do that.
- In other words, are there blessings from God that are conditioned on what Israel does? Absolutely. They were to obey God and keep His statutes, keep
His Sabbaths and reverence His sanctuary, and then God would bless their nation.
- If they refused and despised God, then it would not end well for them.
Leviticus 26:19-20… If they will not honor God…
- Are there conditional blessings for us? Absolutely. There are scriptures that give insight into the nature of God’s conditional blessings, or lack
1 Corinthians 3:13-15, The fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
- Believers will appear before the judgment seat of Christ and give an account of how they lived their lives.
2 Corinthians 5:10, For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
- He disciplines as a father disciplines his son.
Hebrews 12;6-7, “for those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and he scourges every son whom He receives.” … God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
Illus – We do the same with our children.If our children have a rebellious attitude, we don’t respond by saying, “Oh my, isn’t that cute?” No, the blessings of extended privileges to our children comes as a result of their acting responsibly.
In other words, even with our children, there are blessings we pour out on them that are conditional. Love is unconditional, but blessing is conditional. If they do their chores with a good attitude, oh what blessings will flow.If they refuse to obey and take on an attitude of disrespect and disobedience, oh what consequences will follow!
C.There are unconditional blessings
- There are blessings of God that are unconditional, both for Israel and for us.
- The covenant God made with Abraham was unconditional.God would fulfill His promises to Abraham because of who He is.
Deuteronomy 31:8, And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.
- One of the best examples of the amazing, unconditional blessing of God is found in Ezekiel 16. God points out Israel’s unfaithfulness in dramatic fashion,
but after He describes Israel’s unfaithfulness, He says a very powerful word… Nevertheless.
Ezekiel 16:60, 63 “Nevertheless, I will remember My covenant with you as in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you… so that you may remember and be ashamed and never open your mouth anymore because of your humiliation, when I have forgiven you for all that you have done,” the Lord God declares.
- Are there unconditional blessings for those who are believers in Christ Jesus? Again, the answer is yes. However, it’s also true that even unconditional blessings begin with a condition.
- Our position in Christ is unconditional, if you receive Him as Savior and Lord. You are adopted as sons and daughters and
we will remain sons and daughters, if you receive His offer of salvation and receive Him as your Father.
Romans 8:15-16, You have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,
II.Principles Guide God’s Blessings
- The principles of blessing are important because there are so many who teach wrong doctrines with wrong motives.
- One of the most important principles of God’s blessing is this…
A.The pathway of blessing has a direction
- The pathway of blessing has to do with the direction of your heart. In other words, is the direction of your life toward God or away from God?
Psalm 119:59, I considered my ways and turned my feet to Your testimonies.
Isaiah 45:22, “Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.”
- We’re talking about the blessing that God gives, therefore, He desires us to walk toward Him at all times.
Mark 12:33, “To love Him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as himself, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
Colossians 3:2-3, Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth; for you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Matthew 6:33, “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
- This helps answer the question, what degree of righteousness is required to receive the blessings of God? In other words,
does God become angry at every imperfection? If God’s blessings are conditioned on perfection, no one would receive the blessings of God.
- God knows the direction of your life; if the direction of your heart is toward God, that is the pathway of blessing.
Proverbs 21:2, All a man’s ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart.
Galatians 6:7-9, Do not be deceived, God is not mocked, for that which a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Do not lose heart in doing good, for in due time you will reap if you do not grow weary.
B.The pathway of blessing is predictable
- In Leviticus 26, God sets forth spiritual laws for the nation of Israel and there are spiritual laws for believers in Christ as well.
- God gives instruction on how to live your life as you walk the pathway of blessing. He gives instruction on how to be godly fathers, mothers, husbands,
wives, businessmen, neighbors, etc.
- If you are walking with God and seeking His ways, that is the pathway of blessing. If you are walking in the stubbornness of your own heart, that is
the pathway of trouble and difficulty.
- Someone might say, well I don’t like these laws.I don’t like these principles; I’ll do things my own way.In short, that man is a fool.
Illus – There are laws of gravity; and those laws are predictable. If you decide you don’t like the law of gravity; if you think it’s too restrictive, and you decide to ignore it, I suggest this will not end well for you.
There are laws of electricity. I discovered these laws when I was working around electric fences.There are laws of centrifugal force that every driver must obey.
In other words, the laws of God and the principles of His word are sure.
C. Don’t hinder God’s blessing
- There are ways the blessings of God can be hindered. Here is a short list:
1. Not honoring your wife as a co-heir of God’s grace.
1 Peter 3:7, Show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.
2.Sin which requires discipline can hinder God’s blessing. God cannot bless when He must first discipline. Which is in fact a blessing, it’s just that
most people don’t see it that way at the time. They might see it later when they gain maturity.
3.Ignoring God’s wisdom and judgment.
4.Disbelief.If you don’t believe that God is faithful to His word and that His promises are true, you will have a hard time trusting those promises.
App – If you believe that God is for you and His favor is on you, then you will watch and wait. And you will see the blessings of God on your life.
Leviticus 26:1-13 NASB
1‘You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured
stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God. 2 You shall keep My sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary; I am the Lord. 3
If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments so as to carry them out, 4 then I shall give you rains in their season, so that the land will
yield its produce and the trees of the field will bear their fruit. 5 Indeed, your threshing will last for you until grape gathering, and grape
gathering will last until sowing time. You will thus eat your food to the full and live securely in your land. 6 I shall also grant peace in the
land, so that you may lie down with no one making you tremble. I shall also eliminate harmful beasts from the land, and no sword will pass through your land. 7
But you will chase your enemies and they will fall before you by the sword; 8 five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase
ten thousand, and your enemies will fall before you by the sword. 9 So I will turn toward you and make you fruitful and multiply you, and I will
confirm My covenant with you. 10 You will eat the old supply and clear out the old because of the new. 11 Moreover, I will make My dwelling among
you, and My soul will not reject you. 12 I will also walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt so that you would not be their slaves, and I broke the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect.