- Sermon Notes
He was Born a Savior
- Vs 11 – “Unto you is born a savior.”
- Man was born separated from God, lost and without hope. We were born in a world of darkness and sin so God sent Jesus to you, personally. “God loved the world so much He gave His only begotten Son…”
- Fear is the opposite of faith…there were many reasons to be afraid in that day;
- Herod was on the throne; a cruel and vicious man.
- The Roman army was occupying Israel.
- Darkness and oppression sat like a heavy cloud over the nation.
- There are many reasons to be afraid in our day as well;
- The rise of ISIS and militant Islam.
- The world is getting more dangerous by the day.
- Tensions are growing with Russia and China. The world economy is shaky at best.
- There are wars and rumors of wars.
- The point is that God is doing something about it. Jesus is the answer to fear, to troubles, to hopelessness and darkness.
- The prophet Isaiah wrote that the Messiah would be called, “Immanuel,” — God with us. Amazing. Why would God be with sinners? Because He loves them!
- The fact that God is with us is the hope of life and the answer to fear.
Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Do you believe that? Do you believe that God is for you and that God is with you wherever you go?
- If you do, you’ll walk in confidence and strength.
- The angel was not just bringing good news, but good news of great joy.
- When fear has been relieved, when troubles have been answered, joy is the proper response. Their great fear changed to abounding joy.
- Some people have lost their way and need to know again that good news of great joy has come to our dark world!
- It’s having the right perspective that brings joy.
- There’s always something to complain about, there’s always something wrong; but the joy of the Lord is our strength.
Illus – Somehow, we’ve lost the concept of joy. Perhaps it’s been replaced by the pursuit of happiness.
- There is a great difference between happiness and godly joy. Happiness is “a mental state of positive emotions.” Godly joy is the spiritual state of having hope and trusting in God’s promises.
- Losing our daughter was the most difficult days of our lives. I’ve carried deeper grief than any time in my life.
- But there is a deep-seated joy, a peace that passes understanding when you know your loved one is in the presence of your Savior.
- Spiritual joy is different than happiness
- It comes when hope is born out of faith.
- The angel didn’t say, “I bring you good news of great joy, a politician is born unto you, or a computer scientist, or an economist is born unto you.”
- God knew our greatest need was for a Savior. He gave the greatest gift because that gift met our greatest need.
- Christians use the phrase, “Are you saved?” But the real question is, “Saved from what?”
- This was the word given to Joseph in a dream.
- He will save people from their sins. That is our greatest need; to be saved from our sins.
- If you don’t receive the gift God sent, you can’t say to God, “Why didn’t you save me?” He’ll respond, “What are talking about, I sent you My Son, what more did you want? He died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sin.”
Acts 13:38-39, “Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things…”
- He is given to the whole world, but He must be received one heart at a time.
- A certificate of adoption.Forgiveness of your sin…
- There’s more, look deeper!!
- The righteousness of God in Christ Jesus…
- There’s still more, look deeper…
- He’s excited for you to open His gift, He wants you to have it!!
- There is no other. Why would anyone want another? What an amazing gift.
- There can be no better news than what He brought to man.
- There can be no better provision for our sin; taking our sin upon Himself; giving us His righteousness.
- Jesus is not only God’s Word to man, He is God’s complete and final Word to man.
- Would you open your heart? Would you say, “I want the deeper things that God has for me I want every part of the gift that He is given.”
Luke 2:1-20 NASB
1 Now in those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus, that a census be taken of all the inhabited earth. 2 This was the first census taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3 And everyone was on his way to register for the census, each to his own city. 4 Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David, 5 in order to register along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child. 6 While they were there, the days were completed for her to give birth. 7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.