- Sermon Notes
Binding the Enemy
Last week we looked at the end of the Tribulation period when Jesus Christ returns to the earth to defeat the nations that will have assembled on the plains
of Megiddo in one last attempt to destroy Israel; the battle of Armageddon.
Christ will set foot on the Mount of Olives and enter into Jerusalem to shepherd the nations with a rod of iron. He will come to set things right. There
is so much that is wrong today that much of the world thinks is good, which reminds me of Isaiah 5:20, “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!”
I was thinking the other day of a lighthearted example.When I was growing up we had our own slang expressions, but they made sense; words like, “hunky-dory,”
or “geewhiz,” or “holy smoke,” or “groovy” and “far out!”But today, things mean the opposite of what they sound like.If a car is really good, you say,
“how fast can that bad boy go?”And then, if something is really good, it’s either ‘wicked,’ or ‘sick,’ or ‘killer.’If something’s really cool, it’s
Jesus will come to set things right. The world system will be destroyed, nations will be defeated, but there will be one more thing that will need to be
set right. You could say it this way, when Jesus returns the world will be under new management.
In other words, if Christ is to rule and reign on the earth, then Satan must be removed. That is what we are studying today – the binding of Satan. That
will be wonderful day for the world, but there are important applications for us here today as we will see as we study through this section of scripture.
I. Satan is a Defeated Enemy
- In the popular Star Wars movies, evil and good are seen in an epic battle of forces and the outcome is far from certain. The dark side and the good
side of the force must be balanced. But that is Star Wars and not biblical warfare.
- The reality is that Satan is a defeated foe by the victory of Christ on the cross of Calvary.
A. Yet he fights on
- When God decides the time has come for Satan to be thrown into the abyss, there is no epic battle of massive forces, He sends one angel and it is done!
Satan is bound and thrown into the abyss.
- By the way, at the point the Antichrist and the false prophet have been seized and thrown into the lake of fire.
- Someone once asked, If Satan knows he cannot defeat God, why does he keep fighting?
- Answer: 1) he knows he has a little time, so he seizes the opportunity;
Revelation 12:12, Woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time.
- 2) So he can destroy as many as possible.
John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;”
Illus – On
Peter 5:8, Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
B. He deceives the nations today
- The number one, greatest, most powerful thing that Satan does is to deceive.
John 8:44, “He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
- Verse 3—When Christ comes to rule and reign on the earth Satan must be removed so he can no longer deceive the nations.
- Beware of his schemes and his lies; they are the main weapons of his warfare; many are defeated by these kinds of lies…
You cannot be satisfied unless you have more… This is the lie behind drugs, worldly sexuality, lust for power and greed.
Psalm 73:2, 5, 13-14, 16-17, 23-26, As for me, my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped.For I was envious of the arrogant as I saw the prosperity of the wicked… They are not in trouble as other men, nor are they plagued like mankind… Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure and washed my hands and innocence; for I have been stricken all day long and chastened every morning… When I pondered to understand this, it was troublesome in my sight… until I came into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end.Surely You set them in slippery places; you cast them down to destruction.How they are destroyed in a moment!…You have taken hold of my right hand.With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory.Whom have I in heaven but You?And besides You, I desire nothing on this earth.God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!
You are unworthy of God’s love. Satan is the accuser of the brethren and will try to convince you that you don’t deserve God’s grace.
He is the one who will remind you of your past failures.
Illus – This reminds me of when I was in fifth grade and was elected to be the sergeant of arms for the class…
God gives grace with love that has no boundary known unto men.
Romans 5:8, But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
1 John 2:1-2, My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
- To counter the enemy’s lies we need the truth; it is the truth that sets us free…
John 8:31-32, 36, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free…if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”The
word “imitate” in the Greek is “mimic.”
II. Bind Satan in Your Life Now
- Though Satan seeks to destroy and is a liar and deceiver, you do not have to be defeated byhim!
- There is great victory in knowing who you are in Christ and that our victory is in Him.
- You have authority in Christ to bind Satan from your life because you are now in Christ.
A. Greater is He who is in you
- The church has authority to take a stand right now.
- When Jesus asked His disciples who the people were saying He is, they said, “Some say John the Baptist, and others Elijah, but still others, Jeremiah
or one of the prophets.” Jesus then asked, “But who do you say I am?” Peter was the one who said, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus responded …
Matthew 16:18, “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell will not overpower it.”
- Gates are for defense. We don’t have to go through life trying to outrun the gates of hell. Jesus was saying that the church will have authority to
prevail over satanic forces. We know that he comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but we can prevail…
James 4:7-8, Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
- God has victory in mind for His church.
1 John 4:4, You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
B. Keep growing spiritually
- In regard to spiritual warfare:
Stand firm in your faith…
Ephesians 6:13, 16 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything to stand firm, stand firm therefore… in addition to all, take up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Be victorious in your mind…
2 Corinthians 10:3-5, Though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but are divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
Keep growing in Christ. Stagnant water stinketh; God is committed to transforming us into who He wants us to become.
Illus – When the Midianites were oppressing Israel, an angel came to Gideon, who was hiding in a cave, and said, “Hail, O valiant warrior!” He most certainly wasn’t, but God saw who he was to become, a valiant warrior who would defeat the enemy – God sees us the same way; as who we will become.
C. Walk in the ways of your King
- When you choose to live by God’s ways rather than the ways of the enemy, you are binding Satan in your life.
- God’s ways and the ways of Satan are opposites.
Note: Satan is the accuser of the brethren, so don’t be an accuser yourself. Jesus edifies and builds the church, so you edify and build up those around you.
- Satan is bound when we operate our lives in a completely different way than those who are led by the ways of the world.
Romans 12:17-18, 21, Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men… Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- James gives a great list of those qualities of those who choose to live by the way of the One who is the victor.
James 3:17-18, But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
Revelation 20:1-5 NASB
1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. 2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent
of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that
he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.
of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and
on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years
were completed. This is the first resurrection.